Skip to main content

Is Orange Juice Safe to Drink?

orange juice

In December 2011 Coca Cola alerted the FDA that it found low levels of fungicide in its own orange juice, and in that of their competitors. This specifically affected the orange juice and concentrate produced in Brazil. After this announcement, Tropicana tested its own orange juice and also found low levels of this dangerous fungicide, but that it was at a level that was below federal safety regulations.

The FDA has halted foreign imports of orange juice while further tests are being carried out. The FDA will deny entry to any juice that tests show have 10 or more parts per billion of the fungicide carbendazim.

Carbendazim is a chemical fungicide that was used in Brazil to combat "black spot," a type of mold that grows on orange trees. This chemical is not approved for food usage in the US (other than trace amounts in certain products). However, several domestic brands of orange juice are also being tested, and the FDA has said if it does find juice with an unacceptable level of carbendazim then that orange juice will be recalled.

The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has conducted tests and found that levels of under 80 parts per billion in orange juice leave no cause for concern. Low levels are not harmful and there will be no recall of any orange juice at this time.

75% of all orange juice available in the US is domestic, and the remaining 25% is imported. Brazil ships more than 50% of the imported juice, according to the US Department of Agriculture.

Orange juice facts:

-3 or 4 medium oranges will give 8 oz of juice.
-An 8 oz glass of pure orange juice contains 112 calories.
-One 8 oz glass of pure orange juice gives you more than your daily requirement of Vitamin C.
-Orange juice is low in saturated fats, cholesterol and sodium.