Finals time is filled with anxiety over work, which creates a horrible anxiety about food. When am I going to eat, where will I go to eat, how long do I have to eat? Since most people will try to eat in as little time as they can, why not make something that will be delicious for every bite through the 3 minutes of eating it: the final grilled cheese.
2 slices bread
2-3 slices American cheese
1 thin slice of beefsteak tomato
2 teaspoons salted butter, separated
- Place frying pan over medium heat.
- Assemble grilled cheese sandwich: bread, cheese, tomato, cheese, bread.
- Once pan is hot, add 1 teaspoon butter. Swirl to coat bottom of pan.
- Place grilled cheese in pan. Place lid for the pan (or a heat-proof plate) over pan. This will help melt the cheese quicker so that you don’t need to burn the bottom of the sandwich.
- After 1 ½ minutes, check bottom of sandwich for color. Once golden brown, remove with a spatula. (I usually keep the sandwich dangling on the spatula for the next quick move.)
- Add remaining teaspoon of butter, allowing to melt. Place sandwich back in pan, uncooked side down. Allow to cook until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slice diagonally, and enjoy!
For a quick, balanced lunch, heat 1 cup of Trader Joe’s tomato soup in microwave. You can wrap the grilled cheese in foil or parchment paper, and drink the soup in a to-go coffee cup. Quick and delicious!
If you want an alternative sandwich, try using this method with slices of goat cheese and thinly sliced pear; shredded mozzarella and cheddar with salsa; or a simple toasted cream cheese and jelly.
How do you make your grilled cheese?