- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 18 large mushroom caps (about 1 lb. total)
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 Italian plum tomato or other small red tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped California walnuts
- 2/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 Preheat oven to 375°F.
2 Remove the stems from the mushroom caps, thus leaving an indentation in the underside of each cap to hold the filling later.
3 Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat.
4 When hot, add the whole mushroom caps and cook for about 1 minute on each side, until faintly browned. Place the mushrooms, stem ends up, on a baking sheet.
5 Return the pan to medium heat and add the broth. When it boils, add the mushroom stems and shallots and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
6 Scrape the mixture into a bowl and add the tomato, walnuts, mayonnaise, bread crumbs and tarragon. Stir to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
7 Place a generous tablespoonful of walnut mixture on each mushroom cap.
8 Bake 15-18 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender but hold their shape. If desired, place under a preheated broiler for a moment to brown the tops lightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: California Walnut Board