- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 servings ServingsServings
- 4 :(10-ounce) bags fresh spinach leaves
- 3 :red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 :1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 :1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 :medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 :large shallot, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 :garlic cloves, minced
- 1 :garlic cloves, minced
- 1 :cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 :cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 :cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 :teaspoons salt
- 1/2 :teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches (about 10 cups at a time), sauté fresh spinach in dry skillet until bright green and wilted, about 2 minutes per batch.
- Transfer spinach to strainer.
- Squeeze spinach dry; roll in kitchen towel to remove excess water.
- Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add leeks, shallot, and garlic; cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk cream and eggs in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk in all cheeses, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in spinach, leek mixture, and 2/3 of roasted red peppers (reserve 1/3 of peppers for topping).
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Preheat oven to 350.
- Generously butter 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Transfer spinach mixture to prepared dish.
- ake gratin until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Arrange remaining red pepper strips decoratively atop gratin and serve.
This is soooooo not your typical creamed spinach.