Arrabiata means "angry style" in Italian and it's named as such due to the heat of the peppers. This simple, spicy sauce goes well with penne pasta.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 8 cups Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté onions until softened. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, and tomatoes. Simmer with lid on for 20 minutes.
2. Remove lid, stir, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in salt, sugar, oregano, and basil. Season with pepper to taste, and serve.