These Asian Mock Crab Red Potato Latkes double as a classic Chanukah dish and a fish course! They are seasoned with a fusion of Asian inspired flavors and then topped with a rich Garlic-Ginger Tehina.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24 latkesServings
Asian Mock Crab Red Potato Latkes:
- 1 lb. imitation crab, shredded by hand
- 1 lb. red potatoes, shredded
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon Old Bay Spice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko bread-crumbs
- Canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup tahini paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Juice of 1⁄2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper
1. Mix all the ingredients together just until incorporated. Turn the stove onto medium-high.
2. Place a pan on the stove and fill with about a 1/2 inch oil. When hot (but not smoking), drop a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture into the oil and flatten with a spatula.
3. Fry on one side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown; repeat on the other side. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel.
Serve warm with Garlic-Ginger Tehina; all ingredients together until incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Winter 2014 Subscribe Now