Fried pickles are fun and addictively yummy. Perfect for Chanukah, a Super Bowl party, or anytime you want to serve a whimsical rendition of the deli classic.
The perfect crispy and salty snack.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 - 7 as an hors d'oeuvresServings
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 or 2 dashes hot sauce
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup good quality dark beer
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 cups sliced dill pickles, patted dry
- Cornstarch for dredging
- Sea salt
1. Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, and hot sauce together and put in a serving bowl.
1. Line a sheet pan with paper towels.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, rice flour, baking powder, cayenne, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk the beer into the batter mixture until smooth. Place the mixing bowl over a larger bowl filled with ice and water. This makes the batter light and crispy and keeps gluten from forming.
3. Pour evoo into a large pot or deep fryer. Heat the oil to 350°F.
4. Dredge pickles in cornstarch. Dip half of the pickles in batter and then in oil, fry until golden brown on both sides.
5. Transfer to prepared pan. Sprinkle with sea salt.
6. Serve with dipping sauce.