Veggie burgers can be made from leftover rice and lots of toasted nuts for a unique flavor and meaty texture.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ⅓ cup cashews
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ⅓ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup tamari soy sauce
- ⅔ cup tahini
- In a frying pan, saute onions and garlic in the olive oil. When onions are translucent, add the basil and mix well. Add the mixture to the cooked rice. Lightly toast nuts in frying pan and allow to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, grind all the nuts and sunflower seeds until coarsely ground. Add to the rice mixture with the tamari sauce and tahini.
- Shape into patties. To cook, brown in a nonstick pan on medium heat in olive oil. Veggie burgers should be served in pita bread or burger buns with your favorite accompaniments.