Colorful, healthy, and nutty- this is a delicious pareve Turkish side dish when served with meat, chicken or fish. Stuff it into a squash and it becomes a satisfying vegetarian meal. Add a dollop of yogurt to it, Turkish style, and you have another dish to add to your dairy buffet.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 ServingsServings
- 2 cups whole grain quick cooking bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large carrots
- ¾ cup slivered almonds-toasted
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts-toasted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 cup dried dates
- Small bunch cilantro/flat leaf parsley
- Optional: Kabocha squash/medium pumpkin-Rinse, cut off top, scoop out seeds and pulp and bake at 400 F. until soft but sturdy enough to be stuffed
- Pour bulgur into mixing bowl. Cover with 2 cups boiling hot water. Cover with foil. Let bulgur steam for at least 30 min. It will soak up the water and double in volume. If you add too much water by mistake, drain bulgur before using.
- While bulgur is steaming: peel and trim carrots. Cut them into 1 ½ inch-2 inch match sticks. Set aside.
- Chop pistachios into small pieces in electric chopper or carefully by hand. Do not pulverize. Mix pistachios with toasted almonds and pine nuts. Set aside.
- Chop dates coarsely.
- Pour olive oil into skillet and heat over medium-high flame. Add carrots and sauté until they are golden. Add nuts and continue cooking you can smell the nutty aroma. Add dates. Mix well. Add steamed bulgur to the skillet and stir thoroughly. Taste. Add salt one pinch at a time. Remove from heat. Cover mixture with a towel and then with skillet cover. Steam for 10 minutes.
- Chop cilantro/parsley and stir into bulgur mixture. Spoon into a shallow serving dish. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Optional: Stuff cooked squash with bulgur mixture and present whole. You can cut it like a cake or slice it into rings for individual servings.