We’ve spiced up Jamie’s challah recipe with jalapeños then added a gooey cheesy center for an appetizer that’s like no other. Serve these as a snack or use as croutons to dip into our Creamy Tomato Soup.
Make ahead tip: make dough and seal cheese cubes inside. Place on a baking sheet and firm in the freezer for 1 hour. Then wrap in a resealable freezer bag for up to 1 month. When ready to make, take frozen dough out, place it on a baking tray and let it defrost for 1 hour before frying.
For best results, use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24 BitesServings
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon active yeast
- ½ cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. In the bowl of stand mixer, stir together water, yeast, flour, and salt. Cover and let sit until foamy, about 20 minutes.
1. Using the dough hook on low speed, add evoo, honey, eggs, egg yolk, flour, and jalapeños. Dough should be soft but not sticky.
2. Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
3. Roll rested dough into a rectangle. Using a cookie cutter or glass jar, cut 2-inch rounds.
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Brush rounds with beaten egg yolk, and place frozen cheese cubes in the center. Draw up the sides and pinch to seal. Roll to round out. Transfer croutons to prepared sheet pan. Allow croutons to rise for 1 hour.
3. Pour evoo into a heavy duty pan, fitted with a deep fry thermometer, and place over medium-high heat. Once oil reaches 350°F, fry croutons, a few at a time, for 3 to 5 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Serve with Creamy Tomato Soup.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.