This recipe is a one ingredient wonder. All you need is a good quality steak, salt and pepper and a solid pan and you will achieve incredible steak results. Every. Single. Time. Use this method for any preferred steak. Make as many steaks as you want using this technique.
If you want to ensure your steak is cooked to the precise doneness you are looking for (rare, medium rare, medium, or well done) we recommend using the OXO digital thermometer available at local home goods stores or amazon.
Related: Kosher Steak Guide
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 - 1 1/2 pound rib eye steak
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Maldon sea salt, for serving
1. Heat a cast iron (or heavy bottomed skillet) over highest heat.
2. Pat dry steak and season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour oil in hot pan to coat bottom of pan. Add steak and sear for 5 minutes per side. Remove steak from pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: If using thicker steaks or if well done steak is desired, you can cook steak for an additional 5-10 minutes in a 400 degree oven.