The key to making tasty pie fries is using a good tasting crust. They have such a high crust to filling ration that a bland crust will make the whole thing taste just OK. I highly recommend making the crust from scratch. It will make a big difference. I have linked to my favorite vegan crust recipe, sweetened a bit for this recipe, but if using your own recipe instead add a couple extra tablespoons of sugar to the dough to make it a bit more flavorful. Also, although my favorite parve pie crust has egg yolks in it, this is not the recipe to use a pie crust with egg. The egg will cause the dough to spread a bit while baking and the shape of the fries will not be as dramatic.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- about 15 friesServings
- 1 recipe of pie crust for a double crust pie
- 2 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 3 ounces cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons (3-ounces) dark brown sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg*
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling on the fries
1. Combine apples, cranberries, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a small sauce pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cranberries have burst and the apples are soft.
2. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 350.
3. Divide dough in half. Roll out each half into a 10 inch circle on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. The crust should be 1/4 inch thick. If the circles are slightly smaller than 10 inches that is fine as long as the thickness is right.
4. Spread the cranberry apple filling evenly over one pie crust, leaving a 1/4 inch border around the edges. Top with the second crust.
5. Using a pastry cutter (or sharp knife) cut the dough into 3/4 inch strips. Cut the strips in half to make fry shapes. Transfer the fries to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
6. Combine the egg and one tablespoon of water and beat with a fork to mix. Brush the fries with the egg wash and generously sprinkle the fries with coarse sugar.
7. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the fries are golden brown. Let cool before serving.
Enjoy these on their own or dipped in Cinnamon Pastry Cream.
*To make these vegan omit the egg wash and simply brush the fries with water to help the sugar and spices stick. Here's the recipe for the vegan pie crust.