This "Dirty" rice with cajun style andouille turkey sausage will spice things up in your house tonight.
To make this dish an authentic New Orleans Dirty Rice, add ½ cup finely diced broiled (koshered) chicken livers to the pan prior to adding the chicken stock.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 (12-ounce) package Cajun-Style Andouille Turkey Sausage, diced
- ½ cup broiled, koshered chicken livers, finely diced (optional)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of evoo in a large sauté pan over medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until softened and slightly browned. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of evoo to the pan. Add diced sausage and cook for 3 to 5 minutes over medium-high heat, until browned and slightly crispy. If using chicken livers, add to the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Pour in chicken stock, and cook uncovered until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Fold rice into sausage and vegetables, stirring to combine. Season and serve.