It's easier than you think you make your own ketchup and so much better for you. It might take some getting used to if you're an avid Heinz fan, because we cut way back on the sugar, but if you give it a chance you might just come to like it even more.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cupsServings
- 1 ½ pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma work well here), cored and coarsely chopped or can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jalapeño or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy-gauge, medium saucepan, Cover and Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
3. Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week