Make your pita from scratch and watch the pillowy pockets form inside your hot oven with our easy recipe. From now on you will have the freshest pita.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon oil
Preheat oven to 500°F / 260°C.
1. In a bowl, add flour, yeast, brown sugar and salt. Mix.
2. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add warm water and oil. Mix until all the ingredients are combined well.
3. Use your hands to form the dough and knead for 5 minutes.
4. Place the dough in a clean bowl and cover in plastic wrap or a towel. Leave to rise in a warm area for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Separate dough into 8 equal pieces and form each piece into a ball. Flatten out with a rolling pin into a circle. Let rise 15 minutes. Place on a sheet pan in hot oven. Bake for 5-7 mins (until lightly golden).