Shortly after completing my studies at The Cordon Bleu in Sydney, I developed a line of “Orly the Baker” gluten free baked goods at a popular chain of restaurants in Arizona called Chompie’s. I introduced gluten free versions of all their most popular breads and pastries including bagels, challah, black and white cookies, butter cookies and rugelach to name a few. The butter cookies were my favorite items to make because I loved piping different shapes and sizes, and decorating the cookies with melted chocolate and multi-colored sprinkles. For Shavuot, you can pipe mini rosette shapes with green and red or pink sprinkles to symbolize spring flowers!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 dozenServings
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (135 grams) white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (295 grams) Blends by Orly London Blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Finishing touches: melted chocolate, chopped nuts, sprinkles, and decorating sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Place oven rack in the center of the oven.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. In the bowl of your electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy. Beat in the egg, lemon juice, zest, and vanilla extract.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
6. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet creamed mixture and beat until incorporated.
7. Fill a piping bag with dough. Using the piping bag and star tube piping tip, pipe out various shapes of cookies, including stars, horseshoes, shells, rosettes or sticks.
8. Place the cookies on the baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. If you like, make an egg wash by beating one egg white with 1 tsp water. Brush cookies with the egg wash.
Optional: sprinkle with chopped nuts, rock sugar or colored sugar before baking.
9. Bake the cookies for about 10-15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown.
10. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
11. You can dip the cooled cookies in melted chocolate and roll in sprinkles.
Visit www.blendsbyorly.com for more recipes and baking tips.