Summer memories are made of recipes like Fried Chicken. Nothing says summer food quite like rolled up sleeves and crispy fried chicken.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder2 cups coconut milk
- 2 egg whites
- 6+ cups extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 (3-4 pound) chickens cut into pieces and breasts cut in half
Line several sheet pans with brown paper bags. The bags will absorb excess oil.
- Whisk together pepper, salt, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, garlic powder, onion powder, flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Set aside.
- Whisk together coconut milk and egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Add chicken pieces to bowl and toss to coat.
- Heat oil to 360°F.
- While oil is heating, shake off excess egg white mixture and add chicken pieces to dry mix. Thoroughly and heavily coat chicken with dry mix. Transfer coated pieces to a sheet pan to dry and form a crust.
- Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, until browned and a thermometer registers 150°F. about 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to lined pan and sprinkle with salt.