Charif is the Hebrew word for sharp−and boy, does this recipe have a kick! It's not for the faint of heart. But that's the beauty of preparing a dish like this from scratch. You can make it mild or burning hot.
- Prep Time
- 1 (20-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 4 jalapeños hot pepper rings (from jar)
- Quartered pita breads (optional)
- Combine tomatoes, vinegar, oil, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, salt, cayenne and jalapeño peppers in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Serve as a dip with warm pita bread, if desired.