Thanksgiving turkey celebrates our American heritage. Why not use the leftovers to celebrate our Israeli roots. This recipe is good for up to 2 pounds of leftover turkey meat.
Instead of making your own spice blend now you can order our own Jamie Geller Shawarma spice blend on Amazon.
- Leftover turkey
- 2 onions cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or hot paprika
- 8 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- Pitas, spreads and salads to serve
- Pull all of the leftover turkey off of the bones. Shred well.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat.
- Add the onions to saute.
- Mix the turmeric, salt, cumin, coriander, white pepper, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon spice mixture on the onions. Mix well to coat
- Drizzle remaining olive oil and the rest of the spice mixture over the shredded turkey. Knead in by hand.
- When onions are translucent, add the turkey and mix well.
- Let cook until turkey is heated through.
Serve in a pita with Israeli Salad, Hummus , Techina, Falafel balls or any other Israeli Spread of your choice. My favorite thing about shawarma is choosing the salads! No two shawarma sandwiches are alike!