Eating your favorite guilty pleasure won't make you feel so guilty now. Made with whole wheat bread, tomato chutney, and avocado, and served with coleslaw made with Greek yogurt instead of mayo, this grilled cheese is a healthier meal option.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups classic coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Pinch fennel or caraway seeds
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raisins or currants
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 8 slices low fat edam cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1. In a large bowl, combine coleslaw with yogurt, vinegar, sugar, and fennel seeds. Stir well and set aside for 10 minutes before serving with sandwiches.
2. In a medium saucepan heat evoo over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften and break down. Add vinegar, raisins, and honey and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in salt and let cool completely.
3. Heat griddle over medium high heat and lightly grease with cooking spray. To assemble sandwich, spread about 2 tablespoons of chutney on 4 slices of bread. Top with 2 slices of cheese and a few slices of avocado. Cook sandwiches for 4 to 6 minutes each side or until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. Cut in half to serve with coleslaw on the side.