These mashed potatoes are comfort food at its best, and caramelized onions make this all-time favorite even better.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- ⅔ cup milk or non-dairy substitute
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Cover potatoes with water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 14 minutes or until tender.
2. Drain and return to saucepan.
3. Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 12 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Set aside.
4. Add milk, salt, and pepper to potatoes. Mash the mixture with a potato masher or fork to desired consistency.
5. Stir in onions.