- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon toasted whole natural almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or almond oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2/3 cup chopped toasted almonds (optional)
- Crackers or pita bread rounds, cut into wedges
1 Chop 1 tablespoon whole natural, almonds for garnish; set aside.
2 Combine remaining portion of the 1/2 cup whole natural, almonds in food processor with oil and garlic.
3 Process until well chopped. Drain garbanzo beans, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
4 Add beans, liquid, lemon juice and pepper to almond mixture. Process until smooth.
5 Stir in 2/3 cup chopped almonds, if desired. Spoon into a serving bowl.
6 Garnish with chopped almonds and serve with crackers or pita wedges.
Source: Almond Board of California