Tostones are fried plantains, but they are made using the underripe fruit, so they are bit starchier and less sweet. Usually fried in a pan, we make it easier to make a large batch in the ovne.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 yellow plantains
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Serving suggestions: yogurt, guacamole, pulled beef
Preheat oven to 375°F. Pour ¼ cup evoo in a 15x10x1 baking pan. Place pan in the oven for ten minutes so oil can get hot.
2. While pan is preheating, peel plantain and slice into 1-inch rounds.
3. Place on preheated pan and bake for ten minutes. Remove from oven, flip plantains and gently mash plantain into a ¼-inch round using a spatula or fork. Bake an additional five minutes.
4. Serve topped with yogurt, guacamole or pulled beef.