A simple healthy pasta with lots of adding protein from turkey sausage. Adding reserved pasta cooking water at the end brings the whole dish together, and melds all the flavors together.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound dry whole grain penne pasta
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) package Italian turkey sausage, cut on a bias into ¼-inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 12 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, and reserve ½ cup of pasta water.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons evoo in a large sauté pan over medium-high. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add sausage and cook 3 minutes, until browned. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons evoo to the pan and add tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Add pasta to the pan along with pasta water. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat all the pasta and transfer to a platter. Garnish with the basil, and serve immediately.