Parsnip puree is a delicious and wintry alternative to potatoes. Earthy and slightly sweet, parsnips are best in the winter, after a deep frost. Choose thin parsnips over thicker as the stems won't be as woody and tough. Top puree with Crispy Shallots for a tasty crunchy garnish.
When pureeing, an immersion blender makes easy work of getting all the lumps out. But if you don’t have one, a regular blender works, too, you just have to do it carefully. Hot foods expand in the blender, so blend only a few ladlefuls at a time. Fill the blender no more than halfway, place a towel on the lid with your hand on the towel, and blend on low speed. Transfer puree to a bowl or pot until all the food is blended.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 - 6Servings
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 medium thin parsnips (about 1 ½ pounds), peeled and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large shallots, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- Garnish: chopped flat-leaf parsley and Crispy Shallots (recipe link under photo)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice a quarter inch off the top of the head of garlic, exposing the tops of the cloves inside. Drizzle cut garlic with 1 tablespoon evoo, and wrap in foil.
3. Toss parsnips with 2 tablespoons evoo, salt, and pepper, then arrange on prepared baking sheet. Roast parsnips and garlic at 375°F for 20 minutes. Toss shallots with evoo, salt, and pepper and add to the pan with parsnips. Roast for 20 minutes more, or until shallots and parsnips are medium brown and softened.
4. Transfer shallots and parsnips to a medium saucepan. Squeeze roasted garlic from head into the pan with parsnips.
5. Add white wine and simmer mixture over medium heat until wine has reduced to a glaze. Add broth and blend with immersion blender until it’s smooth. Or carefully blend half of hot parsnips in a blender.
6. Puree in small batches until mixture is smooth. Pour back into pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Garnish with parsley and Crispy Shallots.