What do you do if your family believes that a meal is not complete without meat? This was created for my son Ryan who loves sushi, but won't eat fish. As most of the starters in our home are meat, I like to serve this with a plate of chopped liver puffs. The length of the ingredient list doesn't make the recipe lengthier and harder, sometimes just a little tastier!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 2 cups raw sushi rice
- 1/4 cup Creamy Horseradish Sauce (Wasabi)
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 lb smoked beef or smoked turkey breast (cold cuts) finely sliced
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 1 large red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced into matchstick-size strips
- 2 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage/Iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup defrosted corn
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions
- 1 English cucumber, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 X 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and finely sliced
- 2 avocado pears
- sesame seeds for sprinkling
- 1 pkt potato stick crisps
- 4 oz salted cashew nuts, roughly crushed
DRESSING (served separately)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp Creamy Horseradish sauce (Wasabi)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
The easiest way to make this cake is to have all the ingredients pre-cut and pre-made in bowls.To make the dressing, place all the ingredients into a bottle with a tightly fitting lid. Shake well and set aside.
1. Cook the raw sushi rice as per the packet instructions and allow to cool.
2. In a bowl, mix the horseradish sauce with the mayonnaise. This will now be referred to as 'the sauce' from here on out.
3. Firmly press 1 cup of the cooked sushi rice (about 1 inch) into the base of a greased 10 - 12 inch springform tin.
4. Spread 1/2 cup of 'the sauce' over the entire layer of rice.
5. Top this with half of the steak, followed by the grated carrot, then the red pepper and fnally the Chinese cabbage.
6. Add another layer of sushi rice and spread 1/2 cup of 'the sauce' over it.
7. Top this with the corn, followed by the spring onions, the cucumber, the chestnuts and finally the remaining steak/turkey.
8. Cover with a final layer of sushi rice. Place a piece of wax wrap on top of the rice and gently press down on the cake to compress it.
9. Refrigerate for up to a day. Just before serving, remove the cake from the tin, plate it and cover with the remaining sauce.
10. Slice the avocados into wedges and arrange them on top of the cake.
11. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and pile the potato sticks and cashew nuts on top.
12. Shake dressing up again just before serving with the cake.