Looks like pasta, but it’s all veggies! This vegetable side can be made without the cheese and served with roasted chicken or fish. Or, add ricotta and serve it as a vegetarian main dish.
Make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 - 5Servings
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- Freshly ground black paper
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 3 cups chopped Tuscan kale, about 2 bunches
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (optional)
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Drizzle cut side of squash with evoo, and season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on prepared baking pan. Roast in a 375°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted in the squash with no resistance.
3. With a fork, gently scrape the flesh into a mixing bowl. The strands are fragile, so go gently.
4. Lightly coat a large sauté pan with evoo, and sauté onion over medium high heat for 7 to 10 minutes, until brown and caramelized. Add garlic and crushed red pepper. Continue cooking for an additional minute or so until garlic has softened.
5. Add kale and ⅓ cup water. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, tossing mixture occasionally until kale is wilted, and the leaves have softened.
6. Add spaghetti squash, raisins, ricotta (if using), and toasted pumpkin seeds. Gently toss and season with salt and pepper. Serve with chicken if not using cheese, fish, or as a light entrée.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.