Spanakopita, spinach pie, is a Greek savory pastry, filled with cheeses and spinach. Brunch, light dinner, Shavuot - this interesting, easy, make-ahead recipe is good to keep on hand.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 (1-pound) box filo dough, defrosted and at room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, melted
- Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Sauté onion and spinach in oil over medium-high heat until onion is lightly browned and liquid has evaporated.
3. Mix onion and spinach with cheeses, eggs and basil.
4. Spread a thin layer of margarine across the bottom of a 13x9-inch pan.
5. Layer filo 2 sheets at a time, brushing with margarine as you go. After about 8 sheets, spread half of spinach-cheese mixture across the dough.
6. Repeat with 8 more sheets and remaining spinach-cheese mixture. Layer remaining filo and margarine across top.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes or until top is golden.
Freezes well; wait until completely cool before covering and freezing.
Contributed by: GourmetKosherCooking.com