As the weather starts warming up there is nothing better than cooking outside, but if you don’t have a grill or it’s still too cold the broiler works well.
These skewers are loaded with flavor and nutrients from the marinade. Ginger can reduce inflammation, garlic is high in antioxidants and fresh herbs are loaded with polyphenols, all have been shown to combat such diseases as cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, diabetes and more.
We suggest using a blender or food processor for the marinade to make it easier, but you can also finely chop the ingredients and combine in a bowl.
Serve 2 skewers per person with quinoa, couscous, rice, bulgur or in pita with tahini.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite size cubes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small chili pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro and/or parsley
- 1 tablespoon Jamie Geller Baharat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small lemon, zest and juice
- 2 medium zucchini, each cut into ¾” slices
- 16 button or cremini mushrooms (about 1 8-ounce package), cleaned and stemmed (large ones cut in half)
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- In a food processor or blender combine garlic, ginger, chili pepper, cilantro and/or parsley, baharat, salt and pepper. Process 1-2 minutes until everything is chopped. Stream in 2 tablespoons evoo, zest and juice of lemon. Pour marinade into a bowl or ziplock bag, add chicken and allow to marinate. You can marinate as little at 15 minutes or as much as overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grates. Thread the chicken, zucchini, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes onto metal skewers (or wood skewers that have been soaked in water).
- Place the chicken on the grill or under the broiler until the chicken is golden and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serving Size: 2 skewers
- Calories: 517
- Carbohydrate Content: 27.9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 151 mg
- Fat Content: 20.9 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 57.1 g
- Sodium Content: 769 mg
- Sugar Content: 16.5 g