- 18 turnovers ServingsServings
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 10 ounce chèvre goat cheese
- 4 tablespoon cream cheese
- 4 tablespoon honey (to suit taste)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 granny smith apples, cored and sliced, medium thickness
- 1 egg, beaten with a small amount of water (for egg wash)
1) Thaw puff pastry per package instructions, and cut into 9 squares (three rows by three columns)
2) soften goat cheese and cream cheese by placing in a bowl and microwaving about 30 seconds. Using a hand mixer or food processor, cream goat cheese, cream cheese and honey together until well blended. If cheese mixture appears too dry, add a little bit more cream cheese. Set aside.
3) Over medium heat, caramelize onion slices with a small amount of olive oil. Lightly salt to suit taste.
4) Spread about 1 generous teaspoon of cheese mixture over each puff pastry square on the diagonal, top with a small amount of caramelized onions, and two slices of apple. Fold two opposing corners on the bias toward the center and pinch together to seal. Repeat with the rest of the puff pastry dough. Brush pastries with egg wash and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven about 10 - 15 minutes, until pastry is lightly browned and puffy. Allow turnovers to cool 15 - 20 minutes and serve warm, or enjoy at room temperature later.
Turnovers may be made larger for an appetizer or brunch item. These can be baked ahead of time; simply reheat in a 350 degree oven a few minutes before serving.