This recipe is sodium free, fat free, and delicious. To make this faintly sweet and spicy mustard sauce calorie-free and sugar-free, replace the brown sugar with 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar. If you’re short on time and cannot make this gourmet mustard sauce in advance, sprinkle the fries with just a touch of vinegar, and then toss to combine. The vinegar will heighten the flavors of the fries. It’s my favorite way to serve them!
- 1 cup ServingsServings
- ½ cup dry mustard (about 1 ounce)
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry mustard and water. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, ginger, allspice, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for five minutes.
- Whisk the mustard mixture into the spiced vinegar. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow the mustard to stand for two hours. The sauce will thicken slightly.
- Using a soft spatula, scrape the mustard into a jar, and allow it to mellow overnight in the refrigerator before serving.