The turkey bacon adds that something special to these earthy sweet potato latkes, perfect for any party.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (5-ounce) package turkey bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups grated sweet potato
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ freshly ground black pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Chives, for garnish
1. Coat a frying pan with oil, and heat over medium heat. Add the turkey bacon and cook for about 1-2 minutes per side, until bacon is crispy. You will need to cook the turkey bacon in batches.
2. Set turkey bacon aside to cool. Once cool, chop bacon and reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish.
3. Using a clean kitchen towel or paper towel, squeeze out any excess moisture from the grated sweet potato and onion.
4. Combine eggs, flour, salt and pepper together and lightly mix into grated sweet potato and onion.
5. Add chopped bacon into the sweet potato batter.
6. Pour oil into same frying pan used to fry turkey bacon and set over medium-high heat.
7. Using ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop batter into pan, making sure not to overcrowd pan.
8. Fry for 4 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy.
9. Remove the latkes from the pan and place on cooling rack with paper towel underneath to catch the cooking oil.
10. Serve with reserved bacon and chopped chives sprinkled on top.