Making Hamantaschen vegan really comes down to the dough and it’s easier than we anticipated. Applesauce and cornstarch nicely replace the egg. . Be gentle with the dough and you won’t even notice the egg is missing.. Most fillings are naturally vegan, so choose your favorites.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼-½ cup applesauce
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix evoo with sugar, ¼ cup applesauce, cornstarch, vanilla extract and orange zest if using.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix gently until dough forms. If it is too dry and more apple sauce until dough sticks together well.
- Lightly dust parchment paper with flour. Divide dough in half and roll out to ⅛-inch thickness. Cut 3-inch circles with a round cookie cutter or even a drinking glass. Fill with 1 teaspoon of your favorite filling. Fold the left side over the filling into the center, then fold the right side over and then fold the bottom up, creating a triangle. Pinch the corners to hold the shape and secure the filling.
- Place cookies on the prepared cookie sheets brush with evoo and bake at 375℉ for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.