- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cocoa, 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk, 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Icing:1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, 2%
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 CAKE: Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Bring cocoa, water and oil to a boil. Pour over flour mixture and mix 1 minute, scraping bowl.
3 Dissolve soda in buttermilk, adding to mixture in bowl along with eggs and vanilla. Mix an additional 2 minutes.
4 Pour into greased and floured 10 x 15 x 1-inch jelly roll pan. Bake 20 minutes. Ice cake, if desired, while cake is still slightly warm.
5 ICING: In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine; add milk and heat. Boiling is not necessary. Remove from heat and add confectioner’s sugar and vanilla extract; stir vigorously until smooth and glossy.
6 Add more milk only if frosting isn’t fluid enough to spread easily. Spread over slightly warm sheet cake and immediately sprinkle with coconut. When cake is cool, cut into 24 servings.
Source: Wheat Foods Council