Yes, you can make your own cheese crackers just like Cheeze-its!! And you can make them whole wheat and with any flavor cheese you like. I like mozzarella. These snacks would be a fun treat to send to friends.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 dozen ServingsServings
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 8 ounces Les Petite mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1. Using a food processor, pulse everything except water together until it looks like dry sand.
2. While pulsing, add each tablespoon of water ONE AT A TIME.
3. Remove from food processor, wrap in tin foil or plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. Once refrigerated long enough, roll out dough VERY thin and cut into squares (I used a pizza cutter for this process).
5. Using a toothpick or kabob stick, poke a hole in the middle of each cracker.
6. Place crackers on lined baking sheet. Feel free place them fairly close together, as they do not really expand.
7. Bake for 16 - 18 minutes or until crispy.
*Will keep for up to 2 - 3 days but can get a little soggy so keep them in the fridge.