Baked with 4 types of gooey cheese, and baked to creamy perfection, this baked ziti recipe is a popular family favorite. Bake in ramekins for a fancy spin on holidays such as Shavuot.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 cups penne pasta
- 5 quarts water
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup Tnuva Quark Creamy Soft Cheese, 95% Fat Free
- 5 ½ ounces Tnuva Shredded Mozzarella
- 5 ½ ounces Tnuva Edam Cheese, shredded
- 5 ½ ounces Tnuva Parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon Tnuva Butter
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Bring the water to a boil with salt. Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the package. The pasta should be “al dente” after about 10 minutes.
3. In a large frying pan, heat up the olive oil and add garlic. Fry until golden. Add the crushed tomatoes and mix well.
4. Gently add all of the Quark cheese and about half of each of the other cheeses to the sauce and mix well.
5. Grease a baking dish with butter and pour the pasta into the dish. Then add the sauce onto the pasta.
6. Beat the remainder of the cheeses with the heavy cream and the egg whites. Spread this mixture over the pasta.
7. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake for about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for about 5 minutes on high heat. Serve immediately.