Most chefs recommend cooking your chicken in a roasting rack, but if you don’t have one we like to create our own with carrots. Feel free to add more veggies to the pan, celery and onions both add flavor and nutrition to your dinner.
Vegetarian option: Make lots of za’atar roasted carrots with lemon and add lentils or chickpeas to round out your meal.
I try and cut back oil when possible and didn't use oil in this recipe, but you can certainly add 1-2 tablespoons to the zaatar mixture if you prefer.
The secret ingredient in this dish is the delicious za'atar, order our za'atar spice blend on Amazon today!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 carrots, cut into quarters lengthwise
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 ½ pounds)
- 3 tablespoons Jamie Geller Za'atar
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon plus 1 whole lemon cut in half
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450℉. Place carrots to line the bottom of a large baking sheet or pan. Rinse the chicken thoroughly. Pat dry and either place on a roasting rack or directly on top of the carrots. Mix za’atar, zest and juice of lemon in a small bowl.
2. Use your hands to thoroughly rub the chickens inside the cavity and out with the zaatar mixture. Stuff the other lemon into the cavity of the chicken. Tuck the wings under the body of the chicken tie the legs together (this will help keep the shape a little nicer and make the chicken cook all at the same time).
3. Roast the chicken for 20 minutes at high heat. Turn down the oven temperature to 250℉ and slow roast until a thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 160℉ ( about 1 hour). Remove from the oven and loosely cover with foil. Allow the chickens to rest before carving.
4. To carve the chicken, (You CAN do this part!) cut the string off of the chicken and remove the vegetables and lemon. Cut down the center along the breast bone on both sides. Remove the breast bone. Pull the chicken apart slightly to expose the back bone. Cut along both sides of the backbone and remove it. Cut the bird into quarters and place a serving platter with the carrots.
Nutrition information for chicken:
4 servings without skin 400 cals, 13 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 130 mg cholesterol, 305 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 48 g protein
Like this recipe? Check out Jamie Geller's Fresh Families family-friendly healthy meal plan to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Serve chicken with a simple side of Black Quinoa. Mix 2 cups cooked black quinoa with ½ cup chopped herbs of choices (parsley, mint, basil, cilantro), 2 chopped scallions, 1 tablespoon olive oil, Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Drizzle with tahini before serving if desired.