This quick blender sauce has a surprise ingredient. Coca cola! I learned this trick from a chef friend who is from Mexico. Mexican Coke has a cult following and whether it is due to the cute glass bottles it is packaged in, or the fact that it is made with sugar and not corn syrup is unclear. The coke added flavor and sweetness and I only use ¼ cup to make this delicious sauce. The sauce is a knock out and you will make it again and again.
Related: Mexican Family Dinners
- Prep Time
- 1 cupServings
- 4 dried ancho chilies, rehydrated in hot water and stemmed and seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup Coco-Cola
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 whole clove or 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Process chilies, orange juice, lime juice, coca cola, vinegar, garlic, oregano, cumin, clove, brown sugar and evoo in a blender or food processor.
2. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.