These Almond Cranberry Popcorn Bars with Almond Butter Drizzle are a vegan spin on the classic popcorn bar laden with butter and sugar. This is healthier version, full of dried cranberries, toasted almonds, and a yummy, chocolate almond butter drizzle. A great after-school snack, these easy-to-assemble bars might disappear as soon as you make them, but you and your satisfied snackers will have no complaints- and the energy to conquer the rest of your day.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 cups popped popcorn (I like the canola oil variety)
- 1/2 cup good quality honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped roasted, salted almonds
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup dried cranberries (or dried fruit of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1.75 ounces chocolate of your choice (I used hazelnut milk chocolate for this recipe)
1. Grease an 8 x 8" square pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine popcorn, coarsely chopped almonds, and dried cranberries in a large bowl.
3. Bring honey and coconut oil to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the edges are boiling, continue to boil for three minutes (it will foam up pretty well, and that’s ok!), stirring occasionally.
4. Once ready, take the honey syrup off of the heat and pour directly over the popcorn mixture (if you let it sit in the pan, it might burn). Use a large spatutal to evenly coat the popcorn, nuts and cranberries with the syrup, making sure to watch your hands (this mixture is hot), and scrape all of the syrup and nuts/cranberries that might have floated to the bottom of the bowl up and through the mixture.
5. Once combined, pour mixture into greased pan and press down with hands. It will look like a lot of popcorn, but just keep pressing until it is flat and even.
6. Heat chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave on high for 45 seconds. Add two tablespoons almond butter, then heat in 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval with a fork, until chocolate is melted and evenly combined.
7. Use a spoon to lightly pour mixture in a criss cross pattern over the bars. Put in the refrigerator to cool for at least 15 minutes.