These pareve muffins make a citrusy treat for breakfast, or a hearty dessert.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wheat germ, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup plain or vanilla-flavored soy milk
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup almond or corn oil
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup roasted slivered almonds (see instructions), divided
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in ¾ cup wheat germ, and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, juice, sugar and oil. Add dry ingredients all at once and stir lightly until liquid is absorbed; batter will be lumpy.
4. Stir in orange zest and ¾ cup almonds. Pour batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with remaining almonds and wheat germ.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and let cool.
6. Serve with almond butter, soy-based “cream cheese,” or another vegan butter, such as Benecol or Take Control.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Spread slivered, chopped, or sliced almonds on an ungreased baking pan. Bake in oven 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to assure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.
Source: Almond Board of California