Make the most delicious dairy rugelach filled with apple butter and nuts. It's easier than you think and worth it all the way.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup apple butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons milk
1. Sift the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt into a large bowl.
2. Add cream cheese and butter and blend with a hand mixer until just combined. Shape into a ball with your hands and place on a sheet of plastic wrap. Seal and refrigerate for 2 hours up to overnight.
3. Remove dough from the refrigerator when ready to bake, cut into two even pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 12”x4” rectangle.
4. Spoon ¼ cup apple butter onto each rectangle of dough and spread evenly leaving a border of about ⅓” of bare dough around the perimeter.
5. Sprinkle the chopped nuts evenly over the apple butter on each piece of dough.
6. Roll the dough working with the long end and rolling towards you creating a 12” log. Place seam side down on parchment paper and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 350°F/175℃.
8. Remove dough from the freezer, cut into 1-inch pieces using a sharp knife and place seam side down on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet.
9. Brush each piece with milk then sprinkle evenly with remaining cinnamon and sugar.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and store in an airtight container.