- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 5-6 tart pie apples (Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, etc.)
- half a lemon
- 2/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 4 cups 1/4-inch diced homestyle white bread
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter or pareve margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Peel the apples and remove the cores. Cut the apples into bite sized pieces. Squeeze the juice from the lemon over the apples. Place the apples in a baking dish. Add the cranberries and toss to distribute them evenly.
2 Combine the bread dice, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Toss the ingredients to coat the bread completely. Put the coated bread on top of the apples.
3 Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crusty. Let cool slightly, but serve warm, preferably topped with vanilla ice cream. Makes 6 servings