For a dairy-free version omit the butter in the apple filling and use coconut oil in the topping. To make your own almond flour, pulse almonds in a food processor until finely ground, take care not to over mix or you will end up with almond butter.
- 5-6 apples peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoon butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup almond flour, or spelt/wheat flour
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup pecans and/or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon coconut/palm sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted, or coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine chopped apples, diced butter, and cinnamon in a pie dish, cover, and place in oven while preparing crisp topping.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
4. Pour butter (or coconut oil) in the bowl and use your fingers to incorporate the butter until the mixture is crumbly and evenly moistened.
5. Remove baking dish from the oven and crumble topping evenly over the apples.
6. Bake covered for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 10 minutes until topping turns golden brown.
7. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.