These Apple Pie Latkes with Vanilla Cream are the perfect combination of my two favorite comfort foods— apple pie and latkes. The Vanilla Cream takes it over the top!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8-10 pattiesServings
Apple Pie Latkes:
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and halved 1 lemon, zested
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Apple Pie Latkes:
1. Using a box grater, grate the apples into a medium bowl lined with paper towels. Gather tops of paper towel together, and squeeze out excess juice.
2. Return apples to bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder.
3. Add the flour mixture to the apples and toss until the apples are evenly coated. Add the beaten egg and mix until completely combined.
4. Place a skillet over medium-high heat, and pour in vegetable oil until it reaches 1/2 inch up the sides.
5. Once the oil is hot, place a heaping tablespoon of the apple mixture into the pan, slightly flattening the latke with the back of a spoon. Cook the latkes on their first side for about a minute or two or until golden brown.
6. Carefully flip and cook the opposite side for an additional minute. Repeat the process with the remaining apple mixture.
7. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream until it forms soft peaks. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Keep beating until cream holds stiff peaks.
8. Top warm latkes with a dollop of cream and serve.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Winter 2014 Subscribe Now