Fresh arugula gives this pesto a slight bitterness and peppery kick. Try walnuts or almonds instead of pine nuts.
- Prep Time
- 2 cups fresh arugula, packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Roughly chop arugula, and place in food processor with garlic and pine nuts. Process a few seconds, then scrape the top. Process again, while streaming in olive oil.
2. Remove to a bowl and stir in Parmesan cheese. Use right away, or keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Note: If using on pasta, put pesto in a large bowl first before adding hot cooked pasta to the bowl. Toss to combine, and add more Parmesan, to taste.