This light and fresh pasta salad comes together in minutes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ cups uncooked dry whole grain penne or rotini pasta
- ½ pound asparagus spears, (8 to 10 spears) trimmed and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any salt or fat. Add asparagus 2 minutes before pasta is done.
2. Immediately drain pasta and asparagus in a colander, and run under cold water until cooled. Drain well.
3. In a medium bowl, combine artichoke hearts, red pepper, red onion and olives. Add pasta and asparagus.
4. In a small bowl make dressing; mix balsamic vinegar, canola oil, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. Pour dressing over pasta mixture and toss gently and thoroughly, to coat. Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 8 hours for best flavor.