Swap out chicken broth for vegetable broth to make this a great go-to pareve side dish for fall.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1¾ cup butternut squash, cubed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon sage
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup orzo
- 1 cup long grain or basmati rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup toasted chopped pecans (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large pan or pot, and sauté onions on medium-high heat until translucent, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
2. Add celery, squash, and spices. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add orzo and rice; brown for 1 minute.
3. Pour in chicken broth and toss in cranberries. Return to simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low.
4. Continue to cook on low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with toasted chopped pecans if desired.