I first had egg rolls filled with avocado at Sushi Metsuyan in New Jersey and it changed my view of egg rolls. You must experience avocado in an egg roll, it is to die for.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
For Dipping Sauce:
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sun dried tomatoes, drained from oil
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 Egg Roll Wraps
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for frying, such as Colavita
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon hoisin
- ¼ chili garlic sauce
- In a small food processor, combine cilantro, rice vinegar, honey, garlic and cumin. Pulse to finely chop and combine. In a small bowl, combine cilantro mixture with onions, tomatoes, avocado and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Lay one egg roll wrap in front of you with a tip pointing down. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of avocado filling into the middle of the wrap. Lightly brush each corner with egg wash. Fold bottom corner up and over the filling, tuck each side in and continue to roll up, sealing tightly. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down.
- Fill a large skillet a 1/4 inch deep with oil and heat over medium to medium-low heat. Fry egg rolls about 5 minutes until crispy and golden brown on all sides, using tongs to turn them so they brown evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin and chili garlic sauce. Serve with egg rolls..