Shell pasta is seasoned with a flavorful dressing and mixed with roasted fennel and olives. Prep ahead and serve cold.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 ServingsServings
- 1 pound small pasta shells, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cup fennel bulb, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup plum tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup Calamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh assorted herb leaves, finely chopped (such as basil, dill or parsley) Dressing:
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. barbecue sauce
- 2 TBSP. lime juice
- shredded Romano cheese
- crushed red chili peppers
1 Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water, set aside.
2 Heat oven to 375° F. Toss garlic for dressing, fennel and onion with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
3 Spread on a cookie sheet and roast in oven until lightly browned and tender, approximately 20-30 minutes. Set aside fennel and onion.
4 n a bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, barbecue sauce and lime juice in a bowl.
5 . Squeeze garlic out of its peel, dice and whisk into dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6 Dice onion, fennel and tomatoes and add to pasta.
7 Add olives, herbs, and dressing and toss.
8 Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
9 To serve, sprinkle with Romano cheese and crushed red chili peppers.
Source: National Pasta Association