What goes great with Southern food? Or any food? Baked beans!
Smoky, sweet and packed with protein, this is a wonderful vegan dish that works with EVERYTHING. Serve with tacos, fried eggs or as a side to roasted chicken.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound pinto beans, soaked overnight
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large red or Spanish onions, sliced thinly
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thinly
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup bourbon (or apple cider)
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1. Drain beans and reserve soaking liquid. Set aside.
2. Heat a large sauté pan, lightly coated with oil, over medium-high heat. Caramelize onions, stirring occasionally, until dark brown and very soft. Add peppers and continue cooking for a few minutes until softened. Add garlic and stir to combine.
3. Transfer vegetables to a slow cooker or Dutch oven. Add beans, mustard powder, paprika, bourbon (or apple cider), ketchup, molasses, salt and pepper. Stir in reserved bean soaking liquid and additional water to equal 4 cups of liquid.
4. Cook on HIGH in slow cooker for 4 hours until thick and beans are tender. Alternatively, cook beans in a 350°F degree preheated oven, covered for 1 hour. Uncover and continue cooking until thick, saucy and beans are tender.